During the tenure of T.K. Wetherell, the first alumnus to become president, The Florida State University enrolled the most academically talented students in the history of the university, increased the number of doctoral degrees awarded, set new records for research dollars and experienced a boom in campus construction.
Bernie Sliger, a highly regarded economist, served as president of The Florida State University from 1977 to 1991 after four years as the university’s executive vice president and chief academic officer.
J. Stanley Marshall came to The Florida State University in 1958 from the State University of New York at Cortland, where he held a professorship in physics.
Gordon Blackwell was serving as the chancellor of the Woman’s College of the University of North Carolina when he accepted the presidency of The Florida State University in 1960.
Milton W. Carothers served Florida State College for Women and Florida State University as registrar, director of the Tallahassee Branch of the University of Florida, vice president and, finally, acting president upon the untimely death of Robert Strozier.
Robert Strozier became president of The Florida State University in 1957, after 28 years of college teaching and administration in three Georgia institutions.
When Doak Campbell retired as president of The Florida State University on June 30, 1957, Albert B. Martin served as acting president until Sept. 1, 1957, when Robert Strozier became president.
Albert A. Murphree, a mathematician who joined the faculty of the Seminary West of the Suwannee River in 1895 at age 25, was president during a time of reorganization of higher education in Florida, including the 1909 transition to the Florida State College for Women.
Alvin Lewis was president, between 1892 and 1897, of the Seminary West of the Suwannee River, the predecessor institution of The Florida State University.
George Edgar was the first president of the Seminary West of the Suwannee River, the predecessor institution of The Florida State University. (Earlier school leaders had the title Principal.) He served in that office from 1887 to 1892.
Florida State University and its predecessor institutions
1851 — Florida Institute
1857 — Seminary West of the Suwannee River
1863 — Florida Collegiate and Military Institute
1865 — Seminary West of the Suwannee River
1901 — Florida State College
1905 — Florida Female College
1909 — Florida State College for Women
1947 — Florida State University